Sunday, August 15, 2010

The eyes have it

Yes, fashion statement
even in Grade 6
It's a funny thing - vision. 

I find myself ruminating on the quality of life my eyesight provides me as I head into week three of not knowing what is wrong with my eyes.  We take our eyes for granted - of this I have no doubt.  I have always known my eyes weren't 20/20 perfect - heck - I've been wearing glasses since grade 1 and stepped into bifocals when I turned 28!...

With our vision comes this whole amazing world of colour, of light variations, sharp images and depth perception.  There is the ability to watch the subtlety of waves carving designs in the sand, watch the flight of a heron, spot shooting stars.

And now, with that vision partially jeopardized, what do I face?  What initially started as a perceived makeup sensitivity at our photo shoot last August became an out and out allergy to some makeup.  But even with nothing on my eyes for weeks, the fuzziness and irritation continues.  Over 14 days there were 6 appointments with my eye doctor and the ophthalmologist on call.  My sensitivity to light became ridiculous and it was discovered that my eye pressure response to steroid eye drops was too dangerous to consider (yes - STEROID REACTOR - it deserves a super cape I think it sounds so crazy).

Practically it means that for now, choosing photos for the show mom and I are having in March has been put aside hoping that the clarity of sharp edges comes back.  If it's too sunny out, I opt to walk or bus it rather than drive and risk not seeing people in the dark shadows.  The hot weather that would normally have me frolicking happily outside with hat and sunglasses at the beach or people watching has me hand over eyes, only daring to go out with 2-3 pairs of sunglasses stacked in front of and behind my glasses (yes, truly a hot look).  The irony of being able to see distances and colour clarity comes at the price of not being able to focus on the monitor entirely.  If anything, I have learned the value of the ctrl ++ command to increase the font on a web page and how to adjust your monitor to make the fonts on just about anything large enough to fuzzily read.When I go out, the only camera that comes with me is the little one that auto focuses because I know I can't manually focus the lens for now.

Appreciate my vision?  damn straight.  I have begun considering how my day to day activities and passions might need to be adjusted in order to cope with a permanent vision situation should it occur.   I'm not giving up yet by any means and there are more appointments and tests between now and then. 

We are so blessed and lucky to live in a country where we have access to eye care.  With vision comes a freedom to experience the world in techno-colour.  I am surrounded by family and friends who listen with concern and offer to help or drive when they can.  My dance troupe even offered to dance with sunglasses on at the dragon boat festival yesterday so I wouldn't feel out of place if I had to leave them on.... 

I will appreciate with gratitude every day I can open my eyes and see my children smiling at me for as long as I can.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, LJ...

    About 15 years of coping with epilepsy and needing to take medication to prevent me from looking like Wile E. Coyote after taking the Earthquake pills qualifies me to respond to this.

    Self-reliance is a hard thing to surrender. We grow up learning to do things for ourselves, and something happens to take that away from us; suddenly we're children again, with the ability to choose but unable to act on our choices.

    Hopefully, you're not allowing all of this to get to you. Creativity shouldn't be stifled by a partial or complete (god forbid) loss of sight. Learning to see again by learning to carve can be a great release.

    Too many years passed without a word between us. Stay in touch, okay?

    Rob.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome as long as they are not slanderous, malicious or offensive...